©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Advent Calendar - Outdoor Lights

I was just about to skip posting for this prompt - just because I couldn't think of any outstanding outdoor light story. However, I do have an anecdote to share.

About sixteen years ago, the company I worked for was moving its accounting/marketing departments from Schaumburg, Illinois to its headquarters in Los Angeles, California. At the time I was the supervisor of one of the Units being moved. Most of my Unit, including me, opted to remain in Illinois; however, we still had the obligation to train those who would be taking our places.

So, just before Christmas, five of us traveled to LA. We had a significant drive from our hotel to the headquarters. One afternoon, on the way back to the hotel, we were admiring some of the outdoor decorations when Renee popped out with, "Why do they have all these decorations?" After which we had to explain that even though it is always warm in LA, Christmas still comes there and people celebrate just like we did. I really think she was truly shocked!!

But, in her defense, the whole thing felt a bit surreal to me too.

1 comment:

  1. Funny but kind of sad too, what grown people don't know.

    ReplyDelete