©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Remembering My 12th Year

Randy Seaver’s Saturday Night Fun for this week:


1) Remember when you were 12 years old? On a summer day out of school? What memory do you have of fun activities?
2) Tell us about that memory (just one - you can do more later if you want to) in a blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a comment on Facebook.

Now this one is a real challenge for me but I’ll give it a try. You see when I was 12 my family lived in Chicago at the Northern Baptist Theological Seminary on the west side of the city. We had come – when I was 10 – when my Dad took the job in building maintenance for the facility. Very few children my age lived at the Seminary though there were several students with young ones.

The summer of my 12th year was spent babysitting from about 8 am to 8 pm daily. That may not sound like fun but I sure did learn to love the little guy I was tending!! The married student housing had a nice fenced-in area and play ground where Mark and I spent hours having a great time.

When I wasn’t babysitting, I was probably playing with my squirrel monkey, Confucius. Yes, I know we shouldn’t have kept him and probably couldn’t today but he was often times the only friend I had. It was great fun having him on my shoulder as we walked around the facility. Because he would only listen to and obey me, he was a challenge for my Mom.

That would have been a summer day when I was 12 years old.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! I would have never known you had a monkey unless you wrote this! How did that slip by? That's a pretty big omission. As much as my Dad talks, you'd think that would have come up at some point.

    ReplyDelete