©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Error Reports and Erie Research

I decided to create at new database in the genealogy software with the Ruch/Siegler family (ancestors & descendants) only. I think in the long run it will be easier to work with this smaller file and not be distracted by other lines.

Once I had the new file, I ran and error report and spent a few hours looking at each entry. As it turned out most of my missing dates (these are the only “potential errors) currently being reported) are for living people or, at least, very recent generations of collateral lines. Since I don’t plan to include the living in my publication, I’m not going to spend too much time on them. I do have a few on the list that I’ll need to put more effort into finding, though.

After working on the error report for time, I decided to turn my efforts in a different direction and look for information on Erie, Pennsylvania. After landing in New York City, Charles and Salome went directly to Erie and, though they only spent a few years there, I want to get a feel for the area. What brought them there? Did they have relatives there? Why did they leave for Chicago?

I’ll also be facilitating my local genealogy society’s computer interest group this Thursday with the topic, “Getting the Most From Cyndi’s List” I figure I can kill two birds with one stone by using that website as part of my research into Erie. (As usual, however, I spent some time Googling first and now I’ll need to concentrate on Cyndi’s List tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment