©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Day at DCGS Conference

Yesterday was an interesting, informative, enriching, fun day!

I arrived at the Hilton Garden Inn about 7:00 am to help fellow ISGS member, Carole McCarty, set up our table in one of the two vendor rooms. I was especially happy to come early this year because with the conference virtually sold out parking would become a trial later on.

I had heard about George Schweitzer and his speaking style since I became interested in genealogy over 15 years ago but hadn't had the opportunity to hear him until now. I was not disappointed and nor was the standing room only crowd at the first session of the day. I was able to snap this shot from my standing position at the back of the room.



George continued to fill the room all day. His vintage costumes, well-done accents, and charming wit even managed to keep the audience awake after lunch!!
(Just as an aside, I'm not sure George is too up on technology. When I asked if I could take his picture for my blog, he said, "Your what?")



The other major speaker at the conference was John Philip Colletta. He is another speaker who keeps the audience involved with his humor. John has a wonderful way of passing along important information in a most enjoyable manner. He too filled his room to over-capacity all day!


















Tim Pinnick spoke about the importance of WWI Draft Cards in our research. Michelle Wilson gave information about Searching for French-Canadians. Carole Magnuson of Passage Express provided two workshop session for that software. Jeff Bockman of DCGS gave two of his talks - one on cemetery research and one titled No Birth Certificate? No Problem!


I must also mention how much I enjoyed my lunch. I'm not usually impressed by the food at conferences but the Hilton did a wonderful job, I thought, both in the food and the service. I had the salmon and it was delish!

All in all, I had a great day. Between all the knowledge gained in the session and all the wonderful people I met while manning the ISGS table, my head was spinning by the time I got home.

GREAT JOB, DUPAGE COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY!!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard both George Schweitzer and John Philip Colletta speak, so I know you had a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard George Schweitzer speak for the first time at FGS last year - he's a blast! Sounds like you had some wonderful programming.

    ReplyDelete