©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Obituary - Lizzie Emay Stewart

I only have a photocopy of this obituary from the scrapbook of Eloise Davis (1st cousin once-removed). I can't believe I didn't look it up when I was in Rushville, Indiana last summer but I had so many look-up items I guess I didn't get around to it. I'm sure this or one very similar was published in the Rushville Republican but the photocopy isn't cited. I'll confirm that next time I'm in town.

Mays Resident Dies At Home
Mrs. Clara Elizabeth Stewart, 76, died at 9 o'clock Wednesday night at her home in Mays. She was born in Rush County on September 11, 1879, a daughter of William and Mary Frances Leisure Emay. Her husband, Charles S. Stewart, succumbed February 1945. 
A lifelong resident of Rush County, she was a member of the Center Christian Church and the Mays Study Club. 
Survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Ralph Beabout of Plymouth and Mrs. George Flanagan of Centerville; two sons, Earl Stewart of Chicago and Wayne Stewart of California; a sister, Mrs. Glen Ging of Greenfield; a brother, Joseph Emay of Knightstown, seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. 
The Rev. Myron Taylor will conduct funeral services at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Wyatt Moore Memorial with burial in Center Cemetery. Friends may call at the Memorial after noon Friday.

Clara Elizabeth "Lizzie" died 14 Mar 1956 and was buried 17 Mar 1956.(1) Since the article states "friends may call Friday..." the obituary was probably published Thursday 15 Mar 1956.

1. Clara Elizabeth Stewart entry, Rush County Indiana Deaths, Book 8B: 250, no. 5, County Department of Health, Rushville, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment