©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day One at FGS2011

I had every intention of blogging during the day yesterday but for several reasons - too busy, media area not open until Thursday... - it had to wait until this morning. Fortunately, I have a few minutes this morning before heading over the hear the keynote address from David Ferriero, the Archivist of the United States. Can"t wait to hear what he has to say.

So here I was yesterday morning getting ready to start the day. I'm not going to show you how I looked at the end of the day 'cause that's just too depressing.
The beads are from Geneabloggers as is the large pin - thanks Thomas.

I'm staying at the Hilton which is just across the street from the Convention Center. Once I got over there my day turned hectic - great fun, very information, lots of new ideas to take back to my local society, Elgin Genealogical Society - but hectic.

The evening was the best part, though. The Illinois Genealogical Society (I'm on the board) hosted a Prairie Social with our sponsor FamilySearch. What great fun!! Besides the ice cream sundaes, popcorn, and desserts, there was music from period musicians, a prized wheel, local society tables, and Fox Valley Genealogical Society hosted the Geopardy Game and, of course, our special guests: President and Mrs. Lincoln!

Some a of host members and attendees were attired in period dress as well. You can see for yourself a good time was had by all.
Jane Halderman, Larry Pepper, Janice Fritsch, David Kent Coy,
Dan Dixon, and Suzie Pope
"Mollie" Lincoln, Abe Lincoln, Suzie Pope


And this is me manning the EGS table. We had an excellent turnout with great traffic. It was great to meet so many genealogists!

1 comment: