©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Friday, August 13, 2010

Always the Way!!

Just when you think you're at the finish line something new and inviting comes along. As I mentioned in a previous post, my story of the adventures of Charles and Salome (Siegler) Ruch is in editing and I'm pulling together the pictures, reports and charts to complete the publication. In other words, I'm calling a halt to additional research on this line. I mean you have to stop somewhere, right?, or you'll never get anything published.


But, then, I was reading Facebook posts the other day and the Family History Library announced that French Civil Records were available online from the French Library System. Well, of course, I had to go check to see what I might find from Bouxwiller, France. I wasn't too worried because I'd already gleaned lots of records from the LDS microfilm several years ago.


Lo and behold, there were Decennial Tables which I had never seen before. A decennial table is basically a ten-year alphabetical index to births, marriages, and deaths which have been registered at the town hall. Even though I'd decided to make only cursory mention of the family information from Bouxwiller, I certainly couldn't just ignore these wonderful papers. So, for hours I reviewed and printed many pages of these documents to compare to my files as well as find possible updates.


Now, of course, I need to take the time to transcribe the records pertinent to the Ruch and Siegler families. I'm sure this effort will be helpful down the road.


So, here I am still working on finishing this project before year's end but continually, if accidentally, finding new (to me) and interesting records. Isn't technology grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment