©2009-2016 Becky Higgins

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Update on Dad's Bio

I’m still spending as much time as I’ve been able to allot to writing up Dad’s biography.  Today will also be given to that task.

Knowing what to include and what to leave out is becoming the issue for me. I keep reminding myself that this is the story of his life and not his life’s influence on mine. That may seem like a small difference but it really isn’t. My desire is to see the events and situations in which he found himself from – as best I can – his point of view. The things he did or didn’t do throughout his lifetime had an influence and effect on my life but, for this writing, my feelings or views shouldn’t be obvious.

I’m finding it much easier to write about people more distant to me who, though they are part of what makes me “me”,   have a less direct impact. In fact, I didn’t experience anything like this when I wrote about the Ruch family. They were on my husband’s side and, for the most part, I’d never met them. I could easily tell their story with objectivity.

Well, I must get back to it. I really need to get this finished, at least in draft, so I can move back a bit farther where the words will probably come with less effort. Of course, the next write-up will be my grandmother and, unfortunately, I have some issues there, too. Who knows, maybe this will help me understand her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment